Summer Sailing Vacation 2000

This year, we visited Newport, Block Island, and Jamestown. Read about our travels!


Day One - July 21st

Drove up to Mystic after the usual long morning of packing all our clothes and provisions. Stopped in Milford to pick up our laptop (Dad was backing up all the stuff in case of emergency salt water contact on the voyage) and went to Stop & Shop to pick up more food! Got to Mystic, and did the inventory on Kiwi Pride, a 35.5' Beneteau with a 6-3 draft. Sweet looking boat, and easy to handle. Ben claimed the V-Berth and Jacq is in the main saloon, with Mom and Dad in the aft quarter berth (actually long enough on one part for Dad to fit comfortably!). While inventorying we saw many of the antique boats gathered by for the Antique Boat Parade that weekend. Dad also worked on attaching the fishing rod holder to one of the stanchions, but the holder's fitting was too big. Dad went to the machine shop to see if they had any shorter screws, but the best they could do was to cut the ones we had. Murphy of course intervened, and the screws were cut too short (Dan's fault!), so the holder ended up jerry-rigged to a smaller post. After inventory, we walked into Mystic for dinner and had a lovely quick meal at the Bee Bee Dairy. We had Awful Awfuls, a Rhode Island classic (milkshakes!) with our meals. Yum. After dinner we went into this marvelous book store called the Bank Street Bookstore and promptly spent muchos dineros on lots of books. Ben picked up John Glenn's autobiography to read (for school, he claims, but he won't or can't put it down) as well as The Perfect Storm, Clancy's Rainbow Six and some Star Trek books. Jacq picked up a whole series called Soccer Stars, about a girl's soccer team. She also got The Girls of Summer, about the US Women's soccer team. She picked up a rainbow sketch journal (yes, they make them with black, blue, purple, red, orange and yellow paper all in a rainbow, allegedly for Jelly Roll Pens) and was quite happy with her purchases. The kids headed back to the boat to read and Dad and I went to a grocery store for the last few things (milk and OJ). Nice to have all the amenities. We were happy to find refrigeration on our boat…

Day Two - July 22nd

Up and at 'em! We were ready to check out with Dick Kerr from Yachting Services of Mystic by 8:40a, all breakfasted and tucked away. Dick showed us how to maneuver her in tight quarters, told us the sails were easy to figure and he leaped off, leaving us to our own devices. As he said, she's quite easy to handle. We took her out of Mystic Harbor, and managed to raise the sails. The only tricky part is letting the jib out, as the furling line gets tangled on the drum roller. No charter boat is perfect. We threaded through the lobster pots of Fisher's Island Sound and out past Watch Hill Point, set for a reach toward Block Island, then jibed back to go to Point Judith. A long sail, but a gorgeous day to do it, and Mom got two naps in. Jacq managed to get three naps and Ben read two books. We got to Point Judith and the Southern View Marina at about 5p, with enough time to swim in their lovely salt water pool. Jacq got to show off some of the strokes and tricks she's learned in all of her swimming lessons this summer. Point Judith, like Montauk, is largely a commercial and sport fishing village, but we were well treated at the brand new marina. After showers, we bummed a ride from a nice man from New York, owner of Amore, one of the few other "sticks" (sailboats) there, and had dinner at Captain Jack's. Got a taxi home from a nice man who's been there 48 years (!) and had the traditional game of Uno. We'd brought back dessert's from the restaurant and enjoyed strawberry rhubarb crisp and peanut butter chocolate cake with chamomile tea while playing. Jacq managed to win two out of the four rounds before we all collapsed into bed.

Next page